The Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Michigan have been an integral part of the community since 1926. Just read this excerpt from our history:
In 1924, a group of Detroit civic leaders, following the example of the successful Union League Boys’ Club in Chicago, developed plans for a Boy’s Club in Detroit.
After two years of research and investigation, the Boys’ Club of Detroit opened its doors, utilizing two floors of a former cigar factory on the city’s west side. The area to be served was a densely populated community, mainly of foreign-born parents attempting to cope with their Americanized children. Faced with a high rate of delinquency, the Boys’ Club program was launched in Detroit.